Thursday 2 April 2015

Review: Zico Coconut Review

Zico coconut water

I was recently gifted  a case of Coca Cola's  Zico coconut water by a friend of mine who owns a confectionery store. I am a massive fan of coconut water,  I drink it daily.  Sometimes I find that it hydrates me better than water.  I know Zico has been around for a a few years now, but  I had never tried it.  Vita Coco has always been my beverage of choice. However, since i was given this for free I decided to ditch the Vita Coco for a few days and drink this instead. 

First Impressions
The first thing I noticed about Zico was that it was cheaper than Vita Coco. I am not sure how much they are in other stores but this particular batch cost £1 for a 414 ml  bottle.  The bottle is plastic with a wide neck and an easy open lid.  I would have much preferred a glass bottle  because of the issues of chemicals from the plastic leaking into the coconut water.   The bottle is a good size, I managed to fit it into my medium sized handbag. I also took it to the gym the next day, it was a good size for the drink holder on the side of my gym bag.

Taste
In terms of taste I would say that Zico has a very mild flavour.  It just tasted like water with a hint of that coconut water flavour.  I actually find it more refreshing than Vita Coco and other brands of coconut water.  I added a dash of lime to it on a couple of occasions and it tasted amazing.  Zico is 100 percent coconut water and does not have anything else added to it.  I know some other brands add extra sugar and also dilute it with plain water.  I actually prefer the flavour of Zico but it has to be very cold. when it is lukewarm it is not very appealing at all.

Will I  Purchase it in the Future? 
I probably will purchase it again because I prefer it to other brands of coconut water. I would much rather consume the water from a fresh young coconut however, since I don't have a palm tree outside my front door, and since I can't seem to find decent young coconuts in the market. I will stick with this for now!  Next time I will try it with my trusty wheat grass powder.  I usually have a shot of coconut water and wheat grass powder in the morning, it makes me feel cleansed and energised. In fact it gives me more energy than a shot of coffee would ever give me.

Do you want to know the benefits of drinking coconut water? 
 Here are just a few:
.
Boosts Hydration 
Whenever you feel like reaching for an energy drink, grab some coconut water instead.  Coconut water replaces electrolytes like potassium and sodium.  These mineral-rich fluids are lost during exercise so it is vital that you replace them upon completion of a workout.  One glass of coconut water contains 294 mg of potassium and 5 mg of natural sugar. So, instead of reaching for your favourite sports drink, reach for the coconut water and guzzle that instead.


Reduces Blood Pressure 
When the body  is deficient of certain electrolytes It can result in high blood pressure. So remaining hydrated and constantly replacing lost electrolytes can only help reduce high blood pressure. Always consult your doctor before trying any alternative treatments.

Great for the Skin 
Coconut water can actually be used topically to tone and tighten the skin.  So next time you are hunting for a good toner reach for the coconut water instead. It also moisturises at the same time as toning. Remember to do a patch test before applying to the rest of your face.

Try this quick and easy coconut water cooler! The summer months are coming, so cool down with this delicious coconut water summer breeze non alcoholic cocktail.









What You Need: 
1 cup strained strawberry juice (10-15 strawberries)
1 lime
small piece fresh ginger
coconut water
vanilla drops
ice

Directions 
To make the strawberry juice place the strawberries in a sturdy bowl. Use a fork, or you can use a pestle and mortar to mash up the strawberries into a smooth paste. Using a nut milk bag or a strainer squeeze out the juice.
Now pour the juice into a cocktail shaker, add the coconut water, squeeze of lime and 2 vanilla drops.  Shake and pour over ice.  Enjoy!! This is the perfect summer cocktail for those of you who don't drink alcohol. It is refreshing and very healthy too! Try it out and let me know what you thought of it. If you like, you can add some honey to the mix to make it sweeter.


Let me know how you like to drink your coconut water. Leave your tips and tricks in the comment box below. xxxx

Join me on Instagram and Twitter too! See you over there!





No comments:

Post a Comment